There are two different types of straightening: temporary and permanent. Temporary hair straightening keeps the hair straight until it gets wet or damp again, so only lasts for up to a few days. Permanent hair straightening keeps the hair straight for up to a few months, even when the hair gets wet.
A person can temporarily straighten their hair using:
- Hair irons, tongs, use heat to make the hair straight.
- Hot combs, combs that use heat to make the hair straight
- Hairdryer, a machine that blows air over the hair to dry it quickly, so that combs can be used to style the hair straight.
- Hair creams, creams that help hold the hair in place more, but do not completely straighten the hair.
A person can permanently straighten their hair using:
- Chemical relaxers
- Japanese hair straightening
- Brazilian hair straightening
- Brazilian blowout